GHGH: A health movement for girls, by girls.
Girls’ Health in Girls’ Hands (GHGH) is a girl-led movement for health empowerment. We envision that all girls in Monterey County will grow up health and empowered to be leaders in their communities. We support this girl-led movement by adhering the the following beliefs:
- Girls are competent and capable of knowing what information, support, and services they need to be healthy.
- Girls need accurate information and affordable access to support and services in order to have healthy, well balanced lives.
- Girls are capable of supporting decision makers in creating informed and effective policy.
- Girls should have a voice at the table in shaping their healthy lives.
- Girls are capable of identifying and building solutions to health issues important to them.
These beliefs guide all GHGH movement efforts by supporting the increase in access to information, resources and tools necessary to address what is most important to girls.
GHGH is a collaborative program of the Monterey County Health Department created by the Women’s Fund of the Community Foundation for Monterey County. GHGH began in 2009 as a girl-led action research project to identify health information, support and services needed by pre-teen and teen girls in Monterey County.
Read the Girls Health Action Plan detailing the findings of the 2009 action-research project.