GHGH: A health movement for girls, by girls.
Girls’ Health in Girls’ Hands (GHGH) is a girl-led movement for health empowerment. We envision that all girls in Monterey County will grow up health and empowered to be leaders in their communities. We support this girl-led movement by adhering the the following beliefs:
- Girls are competent and capable of knowing what information, support, and services they need to be healthy.
- Girls need accurate information and affordable access to support and services in order to have healthy, well balanced lives.
- Girls are capable of supporting decision makers in creating informed and effective policy.
- Girls should have a voice at the table in shaping their healthy lives.
- Girls are capable of identifying and building solutions to health issues important to them.
GHGH is a collaborative program of the Monterey County Health Department created by the Women’s Fund of the Community Foundation for Monterey County. GHGH began in 2009 as a girl-led action research project to identify health information, support and services needed by pre-teen and teen girls in Monterey County.
Read the Girls Health Action Plan detailing the findings of the 2009 action-research project.